Honey Coffee Walnut Pie
- Posted: Fri Nov 27 2015 07:27:59 GMT-0600 (CST)
- Updated: Fri Nov 27 2015 09:35:26 GMT-0600 (CST)
The coffee, sugar, vanilla, and honey combine for a toffee-like flavor which complements the walnuts extremely well.
Dishes / Utensils / Tools
- 1 9" pie pan
- 1 small-medium saucepan
- 1 large-xlarge mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 large tablespoon
- Cooling rack(s) or pot holders/trivets
- Oven mits
- Unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup walnut halves (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup honey (plus a bit more if following optional step 11)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup very strong coffee (2 shots of espresso work well)
- 1/2 tsp finely-ground coffee (espresso or finer, optional for an even stronger coffee flavor)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the chopped walnuts in a large heatproof bowl.
- In saucepan on low heat: Combine honey, butter, brown and white sugar, and optional ground coffee together, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Take saucepan off heat, add strong coffee, vanilla, and salt, and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Stir in the cream.
- Pour mixture over chopped walnuts.
- Fold together to thoroughly coat the chopped walnuts and spoon the chopped walnuts into pie crust.
- Slowly pour remaining liquid into the crust; you may not need all of it to fill the pan.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- (Optional) Scatter walnut halves on top, glaze with an additional swirl or crosshatch pattern of honey, and bake 5 minutes more.